Video recipe: Whole Pizza
Portion size – two 12-inch pizzas
- 1 Tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon powdered jaggery
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water 40-45 degrees Celsius
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) oil or nut mylk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 and 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
Combine the jaggery, yeast, and warm water. Stir it around and let it sit for 5 minutes or until the yeast is foamy and dissolved.
(This is called "proofing" the yeast. If the yeast doesn't dissolve, your yeast is dead. Start again with active yeast)
- Add the oil/ nut milk, and salt. Mix by hand with a whisk. Add 3 cups of whole wheat flour and mix until the dough starts to come together.
- Once mixed, knead for 5 minutes by hand on a lightly floured surface. If your dough is too wet, add up to 1/3 cup more whole wheat flour
- After kneading, your dough should be smooth and elastic. Poke it with your finger - if it slowly bounces back, your dough is ready to rise. If not, keep kneading.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large mixing bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm environment
** For the warm environment, heat up the oven to 100 degrees C. This will be a warm environment for the dough to rise. After about 30 minutes, close the oven door to trap warm air inside with the rising dough.
- The dough will have doubled in size in about 1 - 2 hours
- Punch the dough down to release the air. It will deflate.
- Cut the dough into two.
- Roll each half into a ball and let rest in two separate bowls lightly covered with plastic wrap for at least 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, flatten each ball of dough 1 at a time on a lightly floured surface or on the baking sheet. Flatten into a 12-inch round circle.
- Top with your favorite toppings- roasted veggies topping as mentioned below
Roasted veggies –
- 1 small eggplant (or 1/2 large), sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce (See the recipe of tomato sauce)
- 3/4 cup nut cheese (see the recipe of cashew cheese)
- While the dough is rising, prepare your roasted vegetables. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the eggplant slices, red pepper slices, corn kernels on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast until they are browned about 20 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, into a large skillet over low-medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, to slightly caramelize.
- Remove roasted veggies from the oven and caramelized onions/mushrooms from the stove. Set them all aside.
- Top the crust with pizza sauce, then all of your roasted vegetables and then creamy cheese on the top